Friday, September 11, 2009

smoke signals

(photo taken by grant m. porter)

my really talented husband took this photo with his iphone. he has been transfixed on the smoke clouds formed by the fires near our home.

he showed me this photo today and I thought it was poignant considering the anniversary of 9/11. two towers, smoke...blue skies.

It's hard to imagine that a day that knew so much tragedy also shares it date with babies being born, people falling in love and someone inevitably laughing somewhere, somehow.

how can extreme tragedy and joy exist together, sharing space and time?...It's painful to think about.

part of my heart will always be in new york city.

today my heart feels quiet for the pains that all of us experience. my heart feels quiet for the lives lost that tragic day.

No comments: